I don’t simply mean the clothes you wear. It’s the whole package that makes up your image: your professional attire, your business packaging, your social media contributions, and your reputation. If any of these are out of place or incongruent, you image is in need of a makeover.
Here are 8 steps to creating a successful image:
- Wear professional attire appropriate to career one level up, i.e., dress for the job you want. You’ll perform better, be perceived better, and flat out feel better about yourself.
- When you’re not working, still dress better than the norm. You never know who you’ll meet.
- Polish your shoes regularly. It speaks volumes about you.
- Update your business packaging to reflect and benefit who your real customers are. Your website, brochures, business cards (if you still use them), and your advertising must deliver a cohesive message that focuses on what’s in it for your customers – not how wonderful you are.
- All your social media accounts need to be linked
- Your LinkedIn profile and photo, should match that of your company website, personal website (if applicable), blog, facebook fan page, and twitter account. When there’s incongruence, people sense it right away and lose confidence.
- Deliver value messages to your target audience. Stop spamming everyone with buy now offers.
- Clean up your personal accounts. If you insist on showing drunken, or inappropriate photo’s and posts, then set your privacy filters with restricted access. But then again, how professional are you if the message you’re sending your network in private is not G-rated? That will ultimately transfer to your work life and negatively affect you. Clean it up.
These steps may seem simple, but take a look around. You’ll find incongruence everywhere you look. Use every advantage you have. Image is everything, and you control yours. What your customer sees, your family and friends and your colleagues is a direct reflection of your level of success. Control your image and you start taking control of your destiny.